*contains affiliate links
Hey all! I’m a definite newbie when it comes to plants and greenery. I have big dreams to have an herb garden, more house plants, and really beautify my interior with natural things!
My incentives for increasing the plants and natural life in my space are threefold:
1. Visually – plants are calming and reminders of the outdoors (much needed in urban living)
2. Cleansing – plants purify and clean the air! Fantastic also for urban, smoggy living. Some are better air purifiers than others, I strive for the ones on the top 10 list (featured below) as well as those that are not toxic if digested for animals or children
3. Olfactory – I love pleasant-scented things. Some plants have a stronger scent than others, but it seems having fresh plant life makes it smell better in here.
Also, plants can be pretty affordable when shopping smart.
So far this is what I’ve got:
1. I had a Bonsai tree from Home Depot in the Kids room, no pics because the leaves fell off and it started to become moldy and got thrown out. Perhaps it was a cheap Bonsai. A similar one on amazon (did you know Amazon sells and delivers live plants??): https://amzn.to/2TeKu3Z
2. Have a house plant in the master bedroom – from a local nursery. This one is fantastic – low light plant, type is Spider plant it’s good for interiors. Similar on amazon: https://amzn.to/2DFx1Os
3. Recent addition – a fake plant from Family Dollar that is also an essential oil diffuser (does this even count as a plant??) Similar decor diffuser on amazon: https://amzn.to/2DG1fk2
4. Some fake flowers. Fake flowers can add a pop of color, as the easiest indoor and low-light plants are green and not usually colorful flowers, advised the nice gentleman at the local nursery.
The real test of modern living in 2018 for me was buying a set of live succulent plants on Amazon. Amazon sells and delivers plants to your door!!! What world are we living in??!! That’s amazing!! Though there is a nursery not far, commuting there and shlepping plants back in an uber can’t beat having live healthy plants delivered to your doorstep.
I just ordered these: https://amzn.to/2ThKkt1
I’ll let you know how they are when they arrive. They are supposed to be compatible with low-light, and easy to care for (I’m a major newbie – did I mention that? I can’t take care of anything complicated). The price was right at $13.95, and many reviews said people received bonus free plants!! Let’s hope 🙂
Another neat aspect of adding plants to your home is how they are displayed. Originally our spider plant was hanging in this:
It was fantastic. Except that every time I watered it, water leaked on the furniture!! Being real with you guys, lol.
Now I haven’t given up on this, because it is so aesthetically calming to look at and a smart use of indoor real estate to hang something on the ceiling. It turns out that it leaked all over because I put the spider plant into the Macrame hanger without a way to catch the water. This can easily be resolved by putting your spider plant into a bigger pot, that way the bigger pot (without holes on the bottom) can be a reservoir and hold the water so it doesn’t spill all over your place.
Word of advice – err on the smaller side when filling up this Macrame holder. The spider plant I have barely fit and was a major headache putting in and out. I plan to try the smaller succulents inside it when they arrive – stay tuned!
Links to things I’ve used or similar:
Spider plant: https://amzn.to/2DFx1Os
Decor diffuser: https://amzn.to/2DG1fk2
Hanging macrame plant holder: https://amzn.to/2DEgg5Z
Succulent set: https://amzn.to/2ThKkt1
What would you purchase next? Definitely want something easy to care for, something good for low-light as well!! Post below your suggestions 🙂
~Best centering, Shirit 🙂